Curcumin 98 Anti-Cancer Treatment
CURCUMIN 98 AS A SHIELD AGAINST CANCER
Turmeric, also known as Indian Saffron, is an Asian spice belonging to the ginger family. Its roots once dried and ground are a major ingredient in curry powder and are what gives it its distinct yellow color. One of the key ingredients in turmeric is curcumin. Curcumin has been found to be an anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory compound that has cancer fighting abilities.
What Is Cancer?
Cancer is the name given to a collection of related diseases. In all types of cancer, some of the body’s cancerous cells begin to divide endlessly and spread into surrounding tissues.
Cancer can, unfortunately, start almost anywhere in the human body, which is made up of trillions of cells. Usually, human cells grow and divide to form new cells as the body needs them. When cells grow old or become damaged, they die, and new cells take their place.
When cancer develops, however, this orderly process breaks down. As cells become more and more abnormal, old or damaged cells survive when they should die, and new cells form when they are not needed. These extra cells can divide without stopping and may form growths called tumors.
There are three majorly known treatments for cancer:
• Surgery: where the tumor and surrounding cancerous cells are physically removed through various surgical techniques.
• Chemotherapy: where the patient is given a cocktail of drugs designed to attack and destroy cancerous cells.
• Radiotherapy: where targeted radiation is used to kill cancer in the body.
All conventional cancer cures are very invasive and more often than not, the patients have to suffer not only the disease but the debilitating effects of these conventional treatments.
However, advances led by established biotech groups such as Stem Cell 21 into fields of immunotherapy and stem cell research as treatments for cancer, are showing good results and may soon complement or entirely replace the traditional methods.
Curcumin 98 & The Prevention Of Cancer
The best way to deal with cancer is to prevent it outright. Avoidance of carcinogenic elements such as radiation, smoking and unhealthy foods is the first step to staying cancer free. One could also choose to eat foods that promote the body’s natural defenses against cancer. Spices that contain curcumin such as ginger and turmeric have been shown to contribute to lower instances of cancer in areas where they are widely consumed.
Curcumin is known to prevent cancer because of its anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties. Studies have also shown that curcumin is effective in preventing breast, lung, stomach, liver and colon cancer. It additionally prevents the development of cancer by inhibiting specific neural pathways that control the formation of new cancer cells.
Research results have found curcumin 98 capable of:
• Preventing re-growth of cancer stem cells
• Inhibiting an enzyme called COX-2, which promotes negative inflammation that can lead to cancer.
• Inducing the production of tumor suppression genes
• Stopping the spread of cancer cells from one organ to another (metastasis)
• Slowing down the growth of vascular systems around tumors which blocks the supply for oxygen and energy to the tumor.
How Curcumin 98 Fights Cancer
Numerous studies have shown a sharp variation between cancer patients who regularly take curcumin 98 in their diets along with their prescribed form of treatment. A 2011 study showed that curcumin 98 had the ability to detect and differentiate between cancerous cells and healthy cells.
Once a curcumin extract identifies a cancerous cell, several counter measures are triggered including:
• Preventing metastasis. Inhibiting the ability of cancerous cells from surviving and multiplying in environments that normally wouldn’t support cell survival.
• Ensuring apoptosis. This is a process where cells naturally die off after a certain period to make way for newer undamaged cells. Cancer effectively blocks this natural housekeeping mechanism. Thus, new cells grow over old unhealthy cells that can’t die which eventually leads to a tumor. Curcumin has the ability to turn on this natural self-destruct mechanism ensuring only new healthy cells survive.
• Preventing or slowing down inflammation. Curcumin is a natural anti-inflammatory. Its working mechanism is that it prevents the formation of molecules that cause inflammation.
• Enhancing the immune system. Curcumin supports the body’s natural immune system by prolonging the life of immune cells. As we age our immune system gets weaker due to the gradual loss and lessened production of these guardian cells. Curcumin as an anti-oxidant also protects healthy immune cells from destruction by free radicals.
In one study of patients with colorectal cancer, curcumin was administered at a dose of 1,080 mg per day during the period between initial discovery of the cancer and surgery (between 10 to 30 days). At the time of surgery, the supplemented patients experienced numerous benefits, including an increased number of dying tumor cells, an increased expression of a gene that suppresses cancer, a reduction in blood levels of inflammatory molecules, and an improvement in body weight.
In another series of studies, curcumin was shown to improve intracellular free radical scavenging activity (anti-oxidation), reduced DNA damage, and suppress inflammatory changes. All of these benefits point to curcumin’s specific treatment effects on cancer.
Curcumin has a low uptake making it highly tolerable to the body. A patient may take a high amount of it without any side effects. This makes it ideal for cancer patients who are already suffering adverse effects of their various therapies in that it will not add any physical baggage that would slow down their healing.